May 23, 2021
Key Scriptures: Psalm 1:1-3 AMP; Matthew 12:33 NKJV; Genesis 3:22-23 NKJV; Deuteronomy 30:19 NKJV; Joshua 24:15 NKJV; John 14:6 NKJV; Isaiah 61:1-3 NKJV; Colossians 1:13-14 NKJV; John 1:11-12 NKJV; Ephesians 2:6-7 NKJV; Ephesians 2:10 TPT; Ezekiel 47:1-12 NKJV; John 13:35 NKJV; Romans 12:2 TPT; Hebrews 12:1 TPT; John 15:16 NKJV
Firmly Planted – being placed in a specified position with little possibility of movement, in a way that uses steady power or strength (grace), with resolute determination and strength of character.
- You are not judged by your circumstances or your past but by who you become.
- You are a “Good Tree”, good enough for Jesus to plant.
- Fruit takes time, don’t get discouraged.
- To be able to fully embrace your new identity, you must be firmly planted.
- Seek Him, not the benefits of knowing him.
- When you are firmly planted, good fruit will become a natural expression of who you are.
Let’s Talk: Two boys played a prank on their little brother by shoving him in a closet and telling him that they locked the door. The boy stayed in the closet all day, at first screaming at his brothers to let him out but eventually becoming quiet, succumbing to the fact that he would be there for a while. Finally, the older boys ask their little brother if he had tried the doorknob. He quietly answered, “no”. As he turned the handle the door opened. The boy had been tricked; they never even locked the door. The boy had believed his older brother’s lie and it affected him as if it was true. He was free the whole time, but never knew it.
- How you ever believed a lie about yourself?
- How did it effect your life?
- Were you able to overcome the lie?
- What are other areas of your life that you may be believing a lie? (i.e. I’m not smart enough.)
- What are some truths that you can combat those lies with?
Let’s Think: Jesus tells us in Matthew 12:33 to either make the tree good or make the tree bad. If have given your life to Jesus you are declared a good righteous tree, despite what you may have believed about yourself. You are no longer judged by your circumstances or past but by who you have become. (a child of God)
- How does knowing you are a “good tree” help you be firmly planted?
- How does being firmly planted help you bear much fruit?
- How much does time and maturity play in your fruitfulness?
Going Deeper: In Ezekiel 47 his vision paints a picture of trees along a river that flows from the sanctuary of God. As the river flows by, the trees grow strong and offer food and healing to others. The source of the trees fruit and healing leaves comes from the living water of the river. Those trees are firmly planted in a place where they can receive what they need to be able to give hope to the nations.
- Have you been living a life that flows from the source of living water?
- If yes, what difference has it made in your life?
- If no, how has your life been affected?
- How can others be affected when you allow God to be your source?
Walk It Out:
- What is one thing you can do today that will help you become firmly planted in Christ?
- What is one thing you can do this week that will help someone else become firmly planted in Christ?
- What is a rhythm you can start this week that will help you wake up every day and just enjoy being His?